What is UPSC?
The Full form of UPSC is Union Public Service Commission. One of the most competitive and prestigious exams, civil services, is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), India’s major regulating body. UPSC also conducts a number of competitive exams to fill-in various civil service vacancies for the government of India.
The UPSC conducts the Civil Services Examination (CSE), popularly known as IAS (Indian Administrative Service) exam. It is conducted in two phases namely- UPSC Prelims and UPSC Mains. The prelims exam comprises objective-type questions, while the questions asked in mains need descriptive and essay-type answering. The UPSC is responsible for conducting various examinations for the post like IAS, IPS, IFS etc.
Functions of UPSC
The functions of the UPSC under Article 320 of the Constitution include the following:
- Framing and amendment of the Recruitment Rules for services and posts under the Government.
- Managing disciplinary cases related to different Civil Services or officers.
- Conduct the recruitment examinations for appointment to the services of the Union.
- Direct recruitment of aspirants by selection through interviews.
- Appointment of officers in the cadre on promotion/deputation/ absorption.
- Advising the Government on any matter assigned to the Commission by the President of India.
Examinations Conducted by UPSC
Here is the list of exams conducted by UPSC:
- National Defence Academy and Naval Academy Examination (NDA)
- Indian Statistical Service Examination (ISS)
- Indian Economic Service Examination (IES)
- Indian Forest Service Examination (IFS)
- Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination
- Indian Civil Services Examination (ICSE) for recruitment to IAS, IPS, IRS, etc officers
- Indian Engineering Services Examination
- Combined Medical Services Examination
- Central Armed Police Forces (ACs) Examination
- Combined Defence Services Examination (CDS)
- Various Recruitment Tests for UPSC EPFO, other exams
UPSC Exam Highlights
|Name of the Exam||UPSC Civil Services Examination, 2022|
|Conducted by||Union Public Service Commission|
|Mode of the Exam||Pen and Paper Mode/Offline|
|Test Centres||Across Nation|
|Exam Stages||03 Stages- Preliminary Exam, Main Exam, and Personality Test|
UPSC Civil Services Schedule & Year Calendar
|UPSC Notification||Preliminary Examination of objective type||Preliminary examination result||Mains Examination Descriptive type test||Mains Examination result||Oral Interview||Final Result|
|FEBRUARY in EMPLOYMENT NEWS||JUNE||AUGUST||OCTOBER||FEBRUARY||APRIL-MAY at New Delhi||May/June|